Friday, March 18, 2016

Best Laid Plans

"Man proposes, God disposes" or "man plans, God laughs." The universe is probably laughing at me right now. Actually, I believe I am a great source of amusement for it because I doggedly make my lists and try to establish habits and patterns (yes, I am probably a little OCD). Albert Einstein said the definition of stupidity is to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Yet the urge to make plans will not go away.

I had my grocery shopping list all set but, as usual, I procrastinated until the very last minute because I hate to shop. It was 2pm and I was trying to psych myself up to go out when the power went out and, although the electric company promised it would be back on in a couple of hours, it didn't come back on until 7pm. By this time I was frantically trying to figure out how I was going to get my son's dress shirts clean and wrinkle free for his BPA thing that he was leaving for the next day. I couldn't cook dinner, either, so I braved the streets with no working lights to grab some pizza (the outage was fairly wide spread but we were near an outer edge so it didn't take long to get to "civilization"). Ironically, I have been looking into "Prepping" but that's as about as far as I've gotten - I am not prepared for a power outage of more than a couple of hours, max (and that's only if my laptop and Kindle are all charged up).

I did manage to get those shirts done and was busy patting myself on the back when, suddenly, one of my teeth decided it no longer liked liquids anywhere near it. So I had to make a visit to the dreaded dentist. I treated myself to the gas while they were grinding away in my mouth but it still stung when I saw the bill - almost $500 to fill the crater in my tooth. And once the novocaine wore off... well, let's just say my plans to munch this weekend are now kaput. I should buy stock in ibuprofen *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment